Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Crochet Tutorial: Magic Ring VS Starting Chain


The past week has been so busy for us. My husband is a teacher, and elementary teacher at that. And so since this is the time of the year where closing programs and graduations are done, my husband has been so busy with the Graduation of his Grade 6 pupils. And I, the wife, is busier... hahaha. I've been up almost every night helping him with the certificates and the programs! Wow! until now I still can't sleep if it's not passed 12 midnight. I need to be back to my old routine, I cannot live like this... I am like a zombie every morning.

So, because of that, this post has been so delayed. I promised to make a post about Magic Ring and Starting Chain, but it took me a little while to actually make this post. 

Most of you prefer the Magic Ring, but there are some also who is on Starting Chain but would love to make the Magic Ring but still can't remember or does not know how to do it.


Many are intimidated by Magic Ring because it looks complicated to make, but once you got the hang of it you may not want to go back to Starting Chains again. For this tutorial, I am using a #3 yarn and a G/4.00mm Hook.


Materials:
  • Yarn
  • Hook
  • Scissors

Let's start with Starting Chain. This is the most common method and I think the very first method used. I never know Magic Ring before until I stumble upon it on Youtube.

Starting Chain.

 Start by Chaining 4 for Double Crochet, 3 for Half-double Crochet and 2 for Single Crochet.

Then Double Crochet (Half Double Crochet, Single Crochet) on the first stitch you've made or the last stitch from your hook.

12 (or any number called by the pattern for the first round) Double Crochet (Half Double Crochet, Single Crochet, etc..) on the same stitch.

Then join with a slip stitch on the first stitch to end your round.  As you can see, there is a very small hole in the center of your work. And this method is so easy that is there are more crocheters using this one than the magic ring. It's the basic starting method for working in rounds.

Then you can proceed with every round as what the/your pattern instructs.

So next is the Magic Ring.


Magic Ring.

 First, wrap the yarn around in your hand like in the picture. In this picture, I was using my whole palm, but as you progress you can use your index and middle finger, some even is using their index finger only.

Then hold the end of your yarn with your thumb.


Then insert your hook into the both of the yarn strands in your palm and take the last strand and twist it like in the picture below.

Then pull that yarn in front of your first yarn strand.

Yarn over to your working yarn (the yarn end that is connected to your skein/ball of yarn). 

Pull it out to secure your ring. 

Then you have your magic ring already.


 To test if your magic ring is done in the right way, pull the end of your yarn, if it will make your ring smaller then, you are doing it right.

Then Chain 3 for Double Crochet, 2 for Half Double Crochet, 1 for Single Crochet

Then Double Crochet or Half Double Crochet,.etc.. into the ring.  And pull the end of your yarn to close the ring tightly.
Then join with a slip stitch on the first stitch to end your round. 

Magic Ring finishes off more cleanly than the Starting Chain Method. But it really does look complicated, but don't be intimidated, give it a try. Practice more to it then you'll soon love it.



Personally, I prefer magic ring because I like its clean finish in the center. But there are times when I feel like Starting with Chains is the best way for a project, so I do it sometimes, but more often Magic Ring is my preference.

I hope this post can help you pick the best method for you, but it really doesn't matter if you use both methods. It is even better to know both methods.


Hope you enjoy this tutorial at the same time learned something. And also don't forget to Tag me on Instagram and Twitter also like my Page on Facebook, Si Nanay Madel. I would love to see what you've done and Pin it also on Pinterest.

Thank you and God bless!



xoxo


Nanay Madel





Don't forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and more.  

**Please do not copy and post any pattern from this blog and claim it as your own. This pattern is limited to personal use only.  Please do not re-publish all photos from this blog as your own. You may make and sell products from my patterns. Please also link back to my post. Any link back will be much, much appreciated. Thank you very much.




Thought of the Day

March 27, 2018

The Master Worker chose humble, unlearned men to proclaim the truths that were to move the world. - AA 17









No comments:

Post a Comment